Invisalign for Teens in Hendersonville & Cookeville, TN
Your teen deserves a beautiful, functional smile without the hassle. Advances in braces technology make orthodontic treatments like Invisalign more comfortable and nearly invisible! They provide many of the benefits of traditional braces without bulky brackets.
At Koen Orthodontics, we recommend Invisalign for teens seeking less-noticeable orthodontic treatment. Getting Invisalign as a teen creates a healthy, long-lasting smile and decreases orthodontic treatments as an adult. Schedule an appointment today!
What is Invisalign Teen?
Invisalign teen uses clear aligners to adjust teeth. The aligners, specifically designed for teens, reposition full-grown emerging teeth through a series of trays that accommodate their growing and changing mouths. Their transparent appearance keeps orthodontic treatments nearly invisible. Teens often choose Invisalign over metal braces because they:
- Straighten teeth without metal brackets
- Make treatment barely noticeable and more comfortable
- Do not require as many dietary restrictions as regular braces
- Allow for routine brushing and flossing of the teeth during the treatment
Is Invisalign Teen Right For My Teenager?
Most teens seek Invisalign to avoid noticeable orthodontic treatment. While Invisalign fixes specific dental issues like small gaps and crooked teeth, more advanced bite malocclusions require traditional braces. Seeking the expertise of our team at Koen Orthodontics helps you make the right decision for your teen’s unique smile. Schedule a free consultation today to find out if Invisalign suits your teen.
How Invisalign Teen Works
Invisalign Teen works similarly to traditional braces, placing gentle pressure on the teeth to reposition them using a system of clear aligners. Teens typically wear their aligners for two weeks before switching to a new set.
Invisalign Teen aligners differ from Adult Invisalign because their custom trays precisely guide growing teeth as they develop. Here’s the typical process for Invisalign Teen treatment:
- X-rays – Before receiving your trays, our team at Koen Orthodontics x-rays your teen’s teeth. The images provided allow our team to craft custom trays that fit your teen’s mouth precisely.
- Wearing Invisalign trays – The teen wears each set of trays for about two weeks before switching to a new set of aligners. A colored indicator (on the edge of the tray) changes from blue to transparent, letting them know when to change to a new set of aligners. They should wear the aligners for at least 20-22 hours, removing them only for eating and cleaning.
- Visiting your orthodontist – Every 8-10 weeks, your teen will visit us for an examination. Our team at Koen Orthodontics observes your progress regularly, helping you create and maintain a healthier smile.
- Finishing treatment – Most patients wear their aligners for 6-15 months, using 15-30 trays. After treatment, patients wear retainers at night to maintain tooth alignment.
Wearing Invisalign requires maturity and careful cleaning, but with the detailed guidance of our staff at Koen Orthodontics, your teen can reap the benefits of a glowing smile and the confidence that comes with it
Pros and Cons of Invisalign Teen
Parents often find it challenging to choose the right dental plan for their teen’s health. Before deciding what’s best for you, discuss the options with our team of experts at Koen Orthodontics, and consider the pros and cons of Invisalign for teens:
- Nearly invisible – Teens love Invisalign because it improves their smile without the embarrassment associated with traditional braces.
- Easy cleaning – Teens enjoy easy dental hygiene while wearing Invisalign. Removable trays keep brushing and flossing simple, all without working around bulky wires and brackets.
- Comfort – No brackets and wires mean more comfy treatment! The gentle forces placed on teeth during Invisalign treatment adjust teeth with less friction than traditional braces.
- No dietary, sport, or instrument restrictions – Removable trays allow your child to eat or drink whatever they want during their Invisalign treatment. Teens also enjoy playing sports and instruments without needing a mouth guard or other special adjustments.
- Invisalign maintenance – Maintaining the invisible aligners requires specific cleaning methods. Be sure to discuss aligner maintenance with your orthodontist.
- Wearing your aligners regularly – Some patients struggle to routinely wear their Invisalign trays which slows the progress of repositioning their teeth. Patients should wear their Invisalign as often as possible (except when eating or cleaning their teeth.)
- Lost Aligners – Patients who often lose track of their belongings may want to seek more traditional braces treatments. Losing an aligner increases treatment time and cost.
- Advanced Dental Issues – Invisalign Teen only addresses some mild to moderate dental issues. More advanced orthodontic issues may require metal or ceramic braces.
Still Wondering If Invisalign Is Right For Your Teen?
At Koen Orthodontics, we believe every individual deserves to smile boldly, with healthy, aligned teeth. Our caring staff will guide you in decision-making, helping you determine whether or not Invisalign suits your teen and their lifestyle.
We look forward to welcoming you and your family to either of our Hendersonville or Cookeville, TN practices! Schedule your complimentary exam today!