Clear Braces vs. Metal Braces
Braces can help improve your confidence and boost your self-esteem. There are so many different ways to perfect your smile with options like metal, clear, or aligners.
Almost every day, patients ask us questions like, “are clear braces better than metal?” Or “are clear braces more expensive than other types?” We are always happy to answer any questions about what treatment option is best for your needs.
Learn more about the differences between clear braces vs. metal braces below.
Modern advances in the style and comfort of traditional metal braces make them a suitable option for patients at any age. These lighter, smaller brackets feature smoother edges that make them less noticeable and more comfortable.
Patients enjoy the new comforts and aesthetics of traditional braces, feeling reassured by their proven record of aligning teeth over the years. Simply put: they work!
Benefits of Metal Braces
In addition to innovations in comfort and appearance, metal braces award patients many benefits.
- Metal braces constantly work to align your teeth. Metal braces never stop working to improve your smile.
- Metal braces are generally less expensive. Not only do traditional braces typically cost less, but their durable construction, and fixed placement, make them less likely to be lost or damaged.
- The options to express your personality through your metal braces are endless. Kids especially love choosing from various colors for their brackets and rubber bands, while adults often prefer silver or clear rubber bands.
Metal Braces Cons
While many patients enjoy the perks of metal braces, some drawbacks include:
- Visibility – Even with the low-profile construction, the wires and brackets remain visible.
- Cleaning requirements – Wearing any braces requires extra steps for hygiene and cleaning.
- Discomfort – While braces are much more comfortable than ever, they can still cause occasional discomfort.
Modern 3M™ Clarity™ Clear Braces — also known as ceramic braces — are a sleek alternative to the clunky appliances you may remember from growing up. Ceramic braces feature nearly-invisible components that discreetly blend into your smile.
Clear Braces Pros
Here are some reasons why our patients love Clarity Clear Braces:
- Patients can choose clear or tooth-colored brackets for a less noticeable tooth alignment process.
- Clarity Clear Braces have small, smooth brackets with rounded corners that limit rubbing and discomfort.
- Similar to metal braces, Clarity Clear Braces use brackets and wires, great for treating severe misalignment or malocclusion with the same speed and precision as metal braces.
- Clarity Clear Braces are constantly working to beautify your smile.
Clear Braces Cons
While ceramic braces provide similarly positive results to metal braces, some patients choose metal braces over clear braces because:
- While clear brackets will not stain, the elastic ties that hold the wire may become discolored.
- Like metal braces, ceramic brackets are challenging to clean.
Bottom Line: Are Clear Braces Better than Metal?
At the end of the day, the answer to the question “clear braces better than metal” comes down to your needs. During your complimentary consultation, we will perform a diagnostic examination to determine the best treatment for your condition. After your exam, we will discuss your lifestyle, financial needs, and care instructions to determine the best course of action for you.
The team at Koen Orthodontics can help you weigh the pros and cons between clear braces vs. metal braces. We care about every smile and are proud to offer high-quality care at two different locations in Hendersonville and Cookeville.
You can reach out to us at (615) 824-5636 to learn more about your options.